As an artist, I know how difficult it can be to find the perfect gift for us. That's why I've put together this list of the best gifts for artists and creatives that I update every year. AND to ensure it is just not in my little mind, I've consulted with artists and creatives of all sorts to come up with a fabulous list of gift ideas the creative in your life will love.
So whether you're looking for the perfect present for the painter in your life, an art teacher, young artists in your life, someone in art school or a great gift idea for a musician friend, look no further than these gift guides! I've got you covered with the best gifts for artists and creatives.
For the complete list of ALL gift ideas, click here to view my Amazon Wish List and see my notes on each item I've purchased and what I loved about it or why it is a wanted item.
For your ease of reading here check out the table of contents
Note: this post does contain affiliate links, which means that if you love my advice on these fabulous gifts and purchase from this list then I receive a small commission from Amazon. And for that, I thank you and know that I'm serving you valuable information.
#1 Great Gift for Artists Is TIME!
The #1 Gift Idea for Artists is time for their craft. So here are some unusual artist gift ideas that give the gift of time for their creative process.
Robot Vacuum Cleaner. While the creative in your life creates, their studio space and/or home is getting miraculously cleaned! Now, I will also say, this is NOT a fabulous gift if the creative has a messy floor that the vacuum will get lost in - in that case the next gift idea would be great.
- A monthly maid service. This is an exceptionally lovely extravagance. HOWEVER, if the creative in your life does not like people in their space, then this is a terrible gift and a reminder that you think they are a hot mess....so don't get it in that case, let them be in their messy, happy environment. BUT if they complain about the mess and how they can't work in it or get easily distracted, then this is an absolute joy!
Different ways to give the gift of time that are less expensive:
- Create a coupon book so the creative can "cash in" for more time. Some ideas Include things like "dinner out", "kids make dinner", "order pizza", "get groceries delivered", and "fend for yourself night" - get creative... ask yourself, what do they complain about doing and create a coupon so they can get out of doing it in favor of time to do more of what they love.
#2 Fabulous Gift Ideas for Your Favorite Artist = Art Supplies!!!
For All Artists, regardless of the medium, here are some great ideas for the artist friend in your life that are under $50:
7 Fun and Funky Pens like the following listed in the Amazon Wish List:
Aechy Colored Curve Pens for Note Taking, Dual Tip Markers with 5 Different Curve Shapes & 8 Colors Fine Lines
SHARPIE Permanent Markers, Fine Point
- Sharpie S-Gel, Gel Pens, Medium Point
- Sakura Pigma 30067 Micron Blister Card Ink Pen Set
- 24 Colors Gel Pens
- Sakura 57452 Gelly Roll Classic 05 (Fine Pt.) 3pk Pen, White
- 3x Stabilo-All Pencils (Black-Red-White)
4 Moleskin Notebooks or Drawing Pads like the following listed on the Amazon Wish List:
- Moleskine Art Sketchbook, Hard Cover, Large (5" x 8.25")
- Moleskine Art Watercolor Album, Hard Cover, Large (5" x 8.25")
- 9 x 12 inches Sketch Book, Top Spiral Bound Sketch Pad, 1 Pack 100-Sheets
- CRAFTERS WORKSHOP Creative Journal Small (5x8), OSFA, Multi-Colour
3 Essential Gift Cards:
3 Shoulder, Wrist, and Neck Care. This is a super thoughtful gift for the creative in your life.
- Biofreeze Roll-On Pain-Relieving Gel 3 (Pack Of 3) Topical Pain Reliever For Muscles And Joints From Arthritis, Backache, Strains, Bruises, & Sprains
- Travel Cork Massage Ball Set | RAWLOGY Classic Back and Mini Foot Massage Rollers
- If you really want to wow - go to the $50 or more section for a fabulous massage gun!
20 + Unique Gifts of High-Quality Artist Apparel available at ArtLoverGifts.com (see below)
- Positive Painter T-shirt "Messy Hair, Don't Care Because It Is Paint Day"!
- Positive Painter Sweatshirt "Exposure is for Nudists Not Artists"
- Artist Palette Socks
- Colorful Artist Mug
- CREATE Artist Smock
Membership Programs or Subscriptions (the gift that keeps on giving)
- Oil Painting Classes (online course offerings AND in-person course offerings)
- Netflix subscription or Gift Card
- Audible Subscription
6 Gift Ideas For All Artists, regardless of the medium that is over $50:
- Mini External Hard Drives or Thumb drives (for images of their works of art). If you listened to Artists Soar podcast episodes "Horrible Customer Service Experience and Lessons Learned for Artists to Protect Their Files. and 10 Tips to Keep Your Electronic Files Organized. Artists will quickly realize the importance of backing up their works (artwork, photography, books, articles etc.)
- Massage Certificates found locally (FYI - pick a reputable company because as we've seen over the last 2 years these services will quickly drop off during a health crisis).
- Sportneer Massage Gun, Deep Tissue Muscle Percussion Massager Gun- Back Massager for Muscle Relax & Pain Relief
- Ipad with Apple Pencil
- Workshops Classes
- Book a workshop at a local museum.
- Or if you really want to wow them another good idea is to select a destination workshop available Uptrek to great places like Italy, France, Spain, and more!
- Annual memberships or subscription services to organizations like:
- Local Art Museum - this is a great idea for art lovers who have a passion to explore famous works or are looking for discounted art classes.
- Local Botanical Gardens - fabulous for the plein air painter.
12 Fun gift Ideas for Oil Painters:
- Rosemary & Co Evergreen Oil Painting Brushes (grab one of each :) )
- Some much-used oil painting colors like:
- Some special occasion oil paints like:
- Great starter kits:
- Neo Megilp Oil Painting Medium (versatile and needed)
Gamblin Mediums Set is a great starter set.
- Neo Megilp Oil Painting Medium (versatile and needed)
- Canvases and Panels
- Studio Easel Light like the OttLite LED Extra Wide Are Clamp Lamp with 5 Brightness Settings.
VISWIN Extra-Large Studio Easel
- Monthly subscription to the Oil Painting Virtual and/or in-person Classes
- New Wave POSH Glass Artist Palette | Neutral Grey
- Glass Scraper
- MASTERSON ART PRODUCTS MAS100 Artist Palette Seal
Gift Ideas for a For the Watercolorist:
- Fabriano Artistico Traditional White Watercolor Paper (minimum 300gsm)(we can ALWAYs use painting surfaces! Pick at least 3 of the same size so the artist in your life can dream up and create a series!)
- Rosemary & Co Watercolor Brushes Select an assortment of specialty brushes
- Daniel Smith Watercolor Set (the Jean Haines All That Shimmers Set of 6, it's a fun set and they may not have it!)
- or the Alvaro Castagnet's Master Artist Set with FREE 238 Color Watercolor Sample Card with a Gift Card would be divine
15 Books For Artists - For All Skill Levels
For the books listed below, I've added notes about each book on the Artists Gift Guide located here:
- "Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often To Become a More Creative, Productive and Successful Artist" by Carol Marine
- "Called to Create" by Jordan Raynor
- "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron
- "Leonardo da Vinci" by Walter Isaacson
- "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis
- "Expert Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Creating A Mass Movement of People Who Will Pay for Your Advice" by Russell Brunson
- "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards
- "The Go-Giver: A Little Story About A Powerful Business Idea" by John David Mann & Bob Burg
- "Real Artists Don't Starve: Timeless Strategies for Thriving in the New Creative Age" by Jeff Goins
- "Steal Like An Artist" Audio Trilogy by Austin Kleon
- "Alla Prima II Everything I Know about Painting--And More" by Richard Schmid
- "Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light & Color" by Kevin Macpherson
- "Great Paintings Paperback – Illustrated" by DK
- "Picasso's War: How Modern Art Came To America" by Hugh Eakin
- "Greenlights" by Matthew McConaughey
I know this was a ton of ideas for creative gifts and the best part is that all of these you can do anytime as a fun gift for your favorite creative person (even if that person is you :) ). Whether you are a professional artist, a beginner artist, one thing I know to be true of artists of all ages and all skill levels is that all artists are looking for unique items to create and try new things. Each gift of art supplies that you give will be a delight that will ignite their creative juices!
PIN IT FOR LATER