Oil painting mediums modify the working properties of paint, such as drying rates, transparency, and surface quality. Your oil paint comes with a medium in it, linseed oil, but you can add an additional medium to change the consistency and drying time of your paint.
4 Oil Painting Mediums I Use
I use 4 mediums (well, one is actually a solvent, Gamsol, which is a brush cleaner made of mineral spirit, nevertheless), they are:
In the course “Ultimate Oil Painting Supply Guide”, I offer a video “Which Medium Should I use and Why” and a downloadable that provides a fantastic cheat sheet for when to use these 4 mediums.
Now, there are other mediums available, like wax, slow drying, and so on…but before you go buy them all, master a few and these are the few I recommend mastering before you proceed to expand the comfort zone. Once you have figured out how to use these few, by all means, experiment!
The Ultimate Oil Painting Supply Guide is FULL of great tips and advice about oil painting supplies that too 2 decades to collect. Here is what you’ll learn:
- the difference between quality paint and cheap paint in how they perform.
- the difference between the palette options and why you would choose one over another.
- where to save your money and invest in quality supplies.
- the different types of painting surfaces; panels vs. canvas.
- what the value and purpose of oil painting mediums and when to use them to make the paint perform differently (dry faster, slower, leave brush strokes, etc.).
- the different types of brushes and how to care for them.
You’ll be provided with:
- 8 Instructional videos that detail the What, Why and Hows of Oil Painting Supplies.
- 8 Downloadable ebooks to take with you to the art supply store or purchase the supplies from the comfort of your home.
- Closed Captioning is included in each video.
Please note: I am an affiliate with Amazon and Blick Art materials which means I may receive commissions when you click my links and make purchases. However, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. I only advocate products I believe in.
Oil Painting Medium Purchase Recommendation
Gamblin makes a great sample kit to try various oil painting mediums and for a fabulous price. If you get this I’d still recommend getting a larger container of the Gamsol so that you can fill the brush cleaning tank reservoir.
Ebook Includes the complete articles about
- What is the best brand of oil paints? and basic color palette?
- Which Oil Painting Medium Should I use and Why?
- Paint Brushes and Palette Knives; What to Buy?
- What Canvas Should I Use?
- What Easel Should I Use?
- Which Palette Should I Use?